Saturday, August 24, 2013

Git vs Mercurial vs SVN

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1218471/for-home-projects-can-mercurial-or-git-or-other-dvcs-provide-more-advantages

[1] I use git on personal projects to sort of "collaborate with myself." I have repositories on a linux box on my home network that's accessible via a tunnel from anywhere. I then will clone it to my home desktop, my laptop, maybe a machine at work, and I can see it or work on it anywhere I go. I can commit changes, get the latest, and have backups in various places. It's very nice the ease and speed with which git allows you to switch branches. Found a bug? Switch to 'master', fix it, commit, push, then switch back to what you're doing. Easier and faster than cvs or subversion.
Also, I use git a lot for small directories that aren't even projects. The config directory for the apache server hosting my web site is git'd, and likewise the tomcat config directory for the same web site.
I use it at work for everything, even though at work we're on CVS moving to Subversion. I don't use git-cvs or git-svn, I just use git alongside either product, and keep my branches local. Very handy to be able to switch to another developer's latest commit, check something, then switch back.
Then, of course, there's bisect, which can be a huge help, for work or home projects.
Also, if at work they're still using punch cards, cvs, or subversion, then using git at home is a great way to stay current, and find out for yourself the impact it can have.
I don't get excited about technologies unless they bring something genuinely new to the table. Git does. I'm a fan. You probably figured that out already.

No comments: